FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME TO START YOUR COLLEGE SEARCH? The best strategy for success is to plan ahead and be proactive. Starting this process in earnest during 10th grade gives you a head start on test practice, college visits and planning for meaningful activities that demonstrate strong character. The Sophomore-First Year Comprehensive Package covers meetings with students and families from the time the contract is signed until the end of first semester in college. I can meet with students and families as early as 8th and 9th grade to help them plan out their high school courses and activities as an individual consultation.
2. WHAT EXACTLY DOES OUR COMPREHENSIVE PACKAGE INCLUDE? You receive a plan tailored specifically for you. This plan will also include the following: a personality and learning styles assessment, one-on-one scheduled meetings with students as needed (24-26 meetings in total from 10th grade to first-year college, a well-researched list of 10-12 great-fit colleges with a detailed report and application plan specific to you, access to College Planner software to keep you organized, brainstorming sessions, interview preparation/practice, editing services until all essays are complete, periodic phone calls/meetings with parents to keep them in the loop, and priority access to consultant with any questions that may arise. You will also get connected with experts in tutoring, learning differences, standardized testing and executive function skills through my vast network of trusted professionals. Student athletes and performing/visual/film artists will receive expert guidance through the athletic recruitment, portfolio submission and auditions.
3. WHAT IS THE FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE? Nationally, about 33% of students transfer colleges between their first and second years. This is not necessarily a sign that they did not choose the "right college", but a sign that the transition from high school to college did not go quite as planned. With the FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE, I can help the student be proactive about this transition by planning ahead for courses, activities, leadership opportunities; both the hard work and the fun and getting off to a great college career! Fit for Higher Ed is one of the few educational consulting practices that stays connected with students during their first year of college.
4. CAN WE GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ACCEPTED TO YOUR FIRST CHOICE SCHOOL? Absolutely NOT. My mission is to help you grow into becoming a strong candidate at every school that is a great fit. Then I guide you through the application process so that you put your best foot forward and gain skills that will be vital well after college. I do not use the words "accepted" or "rejected" in my vocabulary because being ADMITTED and then THRIVING is what we are after, together. Most of the anxiety associated with this process is rooted in unrealistic expectations and the personal feeling that a student is "not good enough to get into a highly selective college". The truth is that college admissions can be unpredictable and no counselor or consultant can guarantee admittance to any particular school. I do, however, offer a $250 guarantee. If my philosophy resonates with you, then Fit for Higher Ed is a good fit for your family.
5. WHAT IS THE $250 GUARANTEE? If your student completes all of the applications by my deadline (30 days before the college's deadline), then I will return $250 of the comprehensive package fee to the student to use for college books.